8/3/09

Recession proof Birthday

Mike started a tradition 2 years ago of making my birthday a week long celebration. I'm pretty sure me talking about it and constantly suggesting the fabulous idea had nothing to do with it. I get a little present each day and 1 big present on my birthday. This year he told me it could only be 5 days due to the recession. I'm not going to complain because part of it included a fun weekend in San Diego (thanks to Citibank points1). Plus, my Dad, my older sister and her kids were here so Mike didn't have to entertain me too much.

My sister arrived the day of my b-day so we enjoyed some cupcakes from Dots that some fab friends and my husband picked up for me. Thurs. night we went out for a late dinner. It just made us feel old that we were exhausted at 8pm and shocked that Houston's was so packed at that hour. My, how we forget what it was like w/o children & when we both worked until 7 or 8 every night. We did have some random celebrity sightings, Long-duk-dong & Dennis Rodman were there (separately). We used to eat at Houston's a lot (when I had a job) and almost always saw celebrities there.

Friday after Mike got off work we drove down to SD and stayed through late Sunday afternoon. We went to the San Diego zoo with our friends the Howe's, had some yummy Mexican food, enjoyed the hotel breakfast buffet, checked out La Jolla beach & stopped at the San Diego temple for pictures on the way home.

Not a bad deal for a birthday in a recession year, eh? Thanks Mike :)
no laughing at the pregnant woman eating her 2nd cupcake

This cheetah walked right by us on its way to a lunch for guests who bought a back-stage pass. We're totally gonna save up for that next time.

Max & Fallon checking out some sort of crocodile thingy.

Group shot in front of Galapagos turtle exhibit. Both Max & Fallon wanted to climb in. We should have let them...they could probably out run the turtles.

One of the few pics of Max & I were it was not a total chest shot of me (sorry folks, trying to keep it 'G' rated)


Max hated walking in the sand, but loved jumping the waves on this rock. we had to drag him away screaming.

One of the most beautiful buildings ever

4 comments:

DubyDubyDo said...

Fun~ I'm going to have to get John on that 5 day band wangon. I'm lucky if I even see him on my birthday. Darn tax deadline. I think they need to change that. :)

dietcokegrrl said...

YAY for week long (or at least 5 day) birthday celebrations!! Looks like everyone had a great time!!

Happy Birthday!

La La Land said...

Happy Birthday! I'm all about the prolonged birthday celebrations, and luckily so is Steve. You look so fabulous with your baby bump. (Oh, and I LOVE La Jolla!)

Nat said...

YAY! It was so fun to hang out with you guys! I noticed that there are no pics of you in your fancy wheelchair- don't think that you can escape that moment, it was you at your finest for sure. :)