8/21/09

6 Firemen + 4 EMT's + 5 hrs in emergency room + 3 hrs at vet = 1 unhappy husband

I suppose I should clarify a bit...Face Book just doesn't give you enough room & probably made it sound worse than it was. So here's the long version...

Last Wednesday morning Max & I went outside to enjoy some sun that wasn't totally scorching. He was in a diaper and I had shorts and a tank top, neither of us had shoes. After splashing in the wading pool for a bit I thought to myself, "My husband has been fabulous and doing everything around here lately. I'll go water the garden so he doesn't have to do it later", cuz that's the kind of person I am. Max of course followed me back to the rocky garden & I began watering. He started to complain a bit that his feet hurt so I dusted them off with my hands and put him on a chair to watch. I continued to wander through watering and pruning a bit for about 10 minutes. Max hopped down off the chair and picked a "bapple". He thinks the tomatoes are apples and eats them right off the vine, I don't mind so I rinsed it off in the hose and handed it to him.

Finished with the watering I rinsed Max's tomato juice tummy off & we went back inside. I turned the TV on for him and went to rinse off my cucumbers and peppers I'd picked. I was feeling a bit dizzy and sat down, the dizziness only got worse as I sat. Then I noticed the right side of my face felt numb, just like I'd had a Novocain injection. It felt really weird and both just kept getting worse. I called Mike and as I did remembered he had spread ant poison around the garden a couple days earlier. It was all over back there and I had been walking through it, touching it and probably inhaled a bit. Mike told me to go read the label & do what it said. I jumped in the shower to rinse myself off (thankfully I had Mike move one of our outdoor ottomans into the shower a few weeks go. I just can't stand & soak in there like I want to anymore w/o being able to sit). I was still dizzy when I got out so called Mike back and he said he was on his way home and to call my Dr. I thought about how Max had been back there as well and kept my eye on him. He seemed perfectly fine and content to watch TV.

The Dr. said go to the hospital. Yeah, easier said than done when you are dizzy and have a 22 month old to dress and load into the car. It takes Mike about 40 min. to get home and they said not to wait. I called a couple friends and got voicemails. I remembered my sister had an appointment in Beverly Hills that morning so I crossed my fingers that she had not gone home yet. Luckily she was just leaving and said she would come right over. But again, Beverly Hills isn't that close. I tried Sachia again, but on her cell this time. She was out running errands and rushed right over saying she would take me and just haul Max around with her while she ran errands. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, who wants to run errands toting around a 1 yr old and a 2 yr old? Plus, I can't get the car seat out of my car.

Reluctantly I called 911. Within minutes of me calling, Sachia showed up followed by 2 fire trucks with about 6 firemen & 2 ambulances with 4 EMT's, a bit much if you ask me. I immediately regretted calling. They moved fast around my annoying dogs who were thrilled to have a house full of playmates. Max didn't even poke his head out of the family room. He really likes his shows. Apparently the firemen control these kinds of situations, they took down what happened, my info, and took blood pressure then instructed the EMT's to put me on the stretcher. I asked if I could walk and they said no. Honestly the whole thing was a bit embarrassing at this point. I knew Max was in good hands so off we went in the ambulance.

Mike didn't know I had called 911 so went home 1st. He checked on Max and changed into comfy jeans (good thinking, cuz hospitals are not known for being fast). After some blood work, monitoring my blood pressure, and listening to the babies heart over a 5 hr period they finally said I could go home. My blood work was fine, baby was fine & most likely the whole thing was a combo of me doing too much and probably being allergic to an ingredient in the poison.

Oh, and when we got home my sister said our dog Boo still seemed out of sorts. She had been coughing for a couple days & my sister had been here a few days earlier. Mike figured since he was home from work and Max was napping and I would just lie down that he would take her to the vet. 3 hrs later they came home with meds for Boo who apparently had cloudy lungs causing her to cough so much. Unbelievable. We won't be getting new cell phones or a new TV, or frozen yogurt 4 times a week now :(

So there you have it. 5 days later & my face is still numb on the right side, but I'm perfectly fine & just bitter that not one of the firemen or EMT's was like the dreamy ones in the calendars. Mike told me if I want to meet a cute guy to just go on line next time :)

7 comments:

Jean said...

Oh my holy schnikies, Rebecca. WHAT A DAY!!!! Wow, I am so impressed with the response of our local firefighters, what with your experience and Lauren's. I'm so glad everything was okay! I'd be freaking out!! You're amazing. What a crazy, scary experience! :-)

dana said...

oh gosh. WOW! Crazy story! I'm glad you're okay.

Nat said...

OMG!!!! This is why I HATE not having internet while I'm on vacation- I had no clue! Rebecca, you poor girl! How scary! I'm so glad you are okay.
Oh, and I have learned to avoid 911 at all costs, if possible. Thanks to their standard parade of emergency vehicles I've had a few fat bills that I'm still paying off...

La La Land said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I have been waiting to hear the story...you are right it sounded terrifying on Facebook, and now having heard it, IT WAS! I am so sorry. So glad you all are okay, though. Geez woman, take it easy!!!

dietcokegrrl said...

Sorry about the terrible day! Glad you and Boo are feeling better and that the baby is fine...and sorry there were no hot guys!!!

sachia said...

Hillarious! Glad you and baby are OK. But what a killer story to share in a year from now...you won't even believe it happened. By the way one of the firemen was actually way hot...he hung back with me while he was filling out his paperwork on your leather sofa......NO COMMENT.

Will & Michelle said...

Such a crazy day. Glad you are all okay. When are you due?