9/28/08

A really scary Halloween story

This is Max

This is the Black Widow Spider that leaped out of nowhere, crawled all over him looking for a place to bite and then the dogs noticed and knocked it off his arm before it attacked him... (ok, not really, you can read the true story below, but this version is better).

Here's the long winded story:

Our morning routine consists of me laying on the floor next to him from

6:30 am- 8am while he eats and plays. I can't sit on the couch because that is not close enough for him. I have to be on the floor with him. So while I wake up, he plays. Around 8 he gets cranky & tired again but I have to keep him up for at least another hour + in order to get a decent nap out of him. Most mornings we go play outside. I chase him while he rides around in his walker, or walks behind it.

He usually heads for our small planter next to the garage that has some cacti & an aloe vera plant in it. For some reason these is a small succulent that he likes to pull up and eat. So he was heading for it and I told him "that's not a good decision" (I try and say this instead of "no") so instead he pulled on the pipe coming out the side of the garage. I saw something black fall on his arm and then it fell to the ground. I didn't really think anything of it until I saw it moving. I went to look closer and it was a black widow spider. It was pretty close to dead but it was trying to walk away. I was so glad that we just had Terminex come the day before to spray for bugs and spiders. Although, come to think of it, that's probably the reason it was out during the day to begin with. Aren't they usually pretty reclusive?

So naturally I scooped it up in a cup to save for Mike. He's never seen one before. :)

5 comments:

Jean said...

Ahhh!! It totally creeps me out that we have Black Widows around here! We saw one right in front of our house during a BBQ one time. Tim sprayed the heck out of it. Ick. Glad that everything went okay with Max's close encounter!

La La Land said...

Unbelievable!! So glad Max didn't get attacked by the deadly beast!

DubyDubyDo said...

Scary??? Please my kids chew those up and spit them out for fun :) or maybe that's scream and yell like their mom,...yeah that's it~

Nat said...

blech!! icky icky icky. i think i would have bathed Fallon in purell afterwards. sick.

La La Land said...

Okay, so the day after I read this post I found a HUGE black widow in our condo! Yuck!