5/1/08

The day Max was "almost" born

Hoorraay for 31 cent scoop night at Baskin Robbins. Thanks to Natalie, Sachia, & Jen for splurging on 2 scoops with me last night.

While there I told them about the night Max was "almost" born and thought I'd share one of my embarrassing moments with everyone else.

One lovely October afternoon (this is pretty much where the pleasant stuff ends) Mike and I were out & about trying to stock the house with food and last minute baby stuff. We pulled up to Smart and Final and when I stood up to get out of the car I felt a little gush and looked at Mike with a panicked face and said really calmly (this is my story and I can say I was calm if I want to) "I think my water just broke". My Dr. had advised me that it does not happen like you see in the movies with huge amounts of fluid and the instant contractions so I figured this small amount could be the real deal. Mike asked me "are you sure?" & I'm thinking Seriously, he's asking me if I'm sure? Hello! of course I'm not sure. This has never happened to me before. Geez, man why would you ask such a ridiculous question. Honestly... I digress. I saw how freaked he looked and decided one of us better act a little more calm and said "am I sure? No, I'm not sure, but it soaked through my jeans and that's never happened before so we better get home."

On the drive home I called my mom asked how much fluid there was, "like, a teaspoon or a cups worth honey?" I told her it was more like 1/2 a cup & my wise mother who I always listen to (again, my story - my way) said I should probably call the Dr. Of course I had to call my sister who basically said the same thing and wished me luck. I wasn't really having any contractions so when we got home I waited a little while to see if I would have any. Then I remembered the labor/delivery class lady went on & on about not waiting once your water breaks to get to the hospital becuase of infections that you can die from (really its just mean to use scare tactics on new impressionable parents). We called the Dr's answering service who went through a few questions and said we should get to the hospital and they would page the Dr.

We put my suitcase in the car, grabbed my favorite pillows and hit the road. We pulled up at St. Joes and there was this family there that saw my huge belly get out of the car and they had the kindest smiles on their faces. We were so thrilled thinking we were leaving this place with a baby.

The triage nurse got me a wheelchair and Mike started taking some pictures and video. An older couple who was on their way out pocked their head in and asked "Are you having your baby today? Do you want me to take a picture of you together?" I was excited and all I could think of was how adorable this scrapbook page would be.

I was wheeled upstairs to the maternity ward, put my gorgeous blue bag of a gown on and rested comfortably with my favorite pillow. Mike called his mom (who was ecstatic) to say we were in the hospital while the nurse was testing the "amniotic fluid". The first test was negative so she did it again. After the second test she asked me how much fluid there was and said "I think it was pee". I'm going "what you talkin bout Willis?" "I think you urinated". I was pretty sure this young, pretty nurse did not know what she was talking about and politely said "That was a lot to just be pee". Then the hag with ugly scrubs said "Happens all the time sweetheart. When you stood up it probably just put a lot of pressure on your bladder. No baby today. But you are about 3 cm dilated so it will be soon". How dare she call me sweetheart.

I looked at Mike and we just started giggling. This is exactly what I did not want to happen. It's why I called so many people to make sure I should go in. Thanks for the great advice family. We totally had to do the walk of shame back out of the hospital with my suitcase and pillows with all the people starring at us I'm sure thinking "Oh, that poor girl didn't get to have her baby today". Needless to say my family got a huge kick out of me wetting my pants.

Max was born 6 days later after the Dr. broke my water. It feels MUCH different when its the real thing.


5 comments:

The Facks of Life said...

Oh, I love that story down to the last detail. Who knew that picture would be monumental after all? Such a fun thing to remember.
p.s. I'm famous for peeing my pants while I'm pregnant. It happens more then it should and is totally uncontrollable. Why? So sad!

dana said...

Hilarious. Love the story.

La La Land said...

I love this story! It reminds me of a story my friend told me (she works in Labor and Delivery) about a husband that called in to ask what amniotic fluid smells like because he didn't know if his wife had peed her pants or if her water broke.

Jean said...

Hahahahaha... I love that story too. You rock. :-)

The Hyer Family said...

Hi...I'm just catching up on your blog...I actually pee my pants all the time while pregnant...did I just announce that on the web??? Every single time I cough these days, a little slips out, and every time I have to ask Andy, "have I ever told you that I pee my pants every time I cough?"